On Christmas Eve, the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest was invited by rector of the Basilica of Saints Celso & Giuliano in Rome to make this beautiful Roman baroque church our new home in the Eternal City.
Not far from Castello Sant’Angelo, the Institute will begin the care of this apostolate by offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass on Sundays and Feast Days at 10am and will be present during the week for confessions and adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament. Please pray for our apostolate in Rome and for our priests and seminarians that serve the Church in the Eternal City.
Santi Celso e Giuliano is a minor basilica and it has held this status by custom and practice since ancient times. The church is located on Vicolo del Curato 12, just off Via del Banco di Santo Spirito, the road leading to Ponte Sant’Angelo.
SS. Celso e Giuliano is a ‘papal chapel’. Canons of the collegiate church are mentioned in the 14th century. Cardinal Giovanni Antonio Sangiorgio d. 1509 had been the Archpriest, and was buried in the church and in the 17th century, it is recorded, there was an Archpriest and seven Canons. Now there are Canons with the blue pom pom!